Friday, September 3, 2010

Which hat today?!

Well folks its better late than never!  Since I last updated I was off to Bend Or.  That was a great trip!  I had never been to Oregon before and Bend was a great place to visit.  The race had awesome single track for close to 80 miles, however the 10 in between miles weren't much fun due to thick moondusty trails.  I felt great that day and battled it out with Sue Butler who hails from the area.  She took the top honors and I placed a proud 2nd.  Sometimes it is how you feel that day and not if you win or lose. 
After Bend I had a weekend off and did some local rides in Michaux that were great fun.  The 6 races in a row took a toll on me and it was good to be staying put at home.  I missed it. 

The next week found me traveling to Dahlonega GA for another NUE event.  The fool's gold.  I really wasn't myself prior to the race and it proved to be a rotten day for me.  The weather was foul, the conditions horrible, so horrible in fact that the race was called at 50 miles.  I unfortunately did not finish the 50 miles due to a mistake in course direction and then finding that my bike was unsafe due to brake failure.  The brake failure happened because of the horrible conditions of mud and water during the race.  YUCK.  A day I really don't want to remember.  It is the first 100 miler and if my memory is correct the only race I have ever had to DNF.  It was not a good feeling.  My only reprieve from being completely bummed out is that if that is the worst for this season, for all my 17 100 milers, let alone my entire career than so be it.  I am lucky! 

Ok, I'm over it!  On to new and different things.  Like hats.  I am referring to my change of lifestyle this time of year.  The Monday after GA I went back to work as a School Counselor.  Yes I have that same feeling the kids have.  Oh no summer is over dread :(  along with each year brings something new excitement:).  It also meant that as a mom my role is also more demanding with the school schedule, soccer practice/games, helping with homework and just plain family time.  I don't mind this change in lifestyle and actually look forward to it.  However there is always an adjustment period and the overlap of my biking gig for the first three weeks adds to the adjustment.  It becomes difficult to fit it all in and there is little time for rest.  The balancing act gets a bit overwhelmed and some pieces start to slip.  Actually it is not so much that they slip, it is more that my priorities shift.

Which leads me to this weekend and the next.  SM100 and the final Michaux race.  Two big races.  Two great fun events shared with great people.  I really want to go and do my best and I  plan on it!  I hope I can hold the pieces together for two more weekends.  After that I can let go!

No comments:

Post a Comment