Wednesday, May 5, 2010

1st Place at Granogue: A Very Hot, but Happy Day

Sunday was Andrew Mein’s Excellent Adventure at Granogue, a mouthful of a race that is part of the Mid-Atlantic Super Series. I’ve heard many tales of Granogue (it’s apparently quite challenging--read unrideable--when wet), but I’ve never raced there. I’d signed up for the endurance race, where the goal is to see how many 7 mile laps you can squeeze in between 9 a.m and 1 p.m. and though I was psyched to race somewhere new, I also was anxious. I like to visualize before a race, which is a bit tougher to do when you have no idea what you're in for.

The venue was a sea of friendly faces, local racers and riders I’ve shared many a trail with over the years. I was happy to see Dr. Jim and Sean from Team CF also milling about. After checking in at registration, I rolled out to do a quick warm up, chat with some fellow racers, and get a feel for the course. I’d been a bundle of buzzing frayed nerves since Saturday, but just 10 pedalstrokes in, I knew it was going to be a good day. The course had everything I love : steep drops, swooping, looping twists and turns, a few tricky rock sections, open climbs and miles of sweet singletrack you can take at speed. I was abuzz with energy and felt light and ready. It was going to be hot—August hot—with temps kissing the 90s. But I had a cooler packed with ice cold bottles and a couple of awesome friends (thanks Liz and Annie and Saucon Valley Bikes!) ready to hand me what I needed as I passed through each lap.

The enduro field, about 60 or 70 riders, staged at 8:45. I sidled my way to the front of the pack and waited. As I looked across the field, I made a few mental notes. Dan “Pickle” Bonora was there. He’s a singlespeeder racer I met at Iron Cross last year and saw again at the Michaux Mash last month. He’s strong and steady, and though I can often get by him on the climbs (thanks gears), he always spins past on the flats and descents and we generally spend the day within sight of one another. Jake, another strong rider I met at Michaux was there, too. Mike Cushionbury, one of my training partners from Bicycling was up there, front and center. Okay, hang with these guys as long as you can and see what happens, I thought as we waited for the start signal.

And just like that we were off, up a fireroad climb to a sharp left turn onto a grassy field for more climbing before bombing a long smooth ripping ribbon of track into the woods. After a little jockeying, Mike took the lead along with Jake, a guy Chris I'd just met, and a few riders I didn't know. The pace was hot, but within my comfort zone, so I went with it. I glanced over my shoulder as we beelined into the woods. Nothing. There was nobody behind us. Our little group had an early break. Awesome, I thought as we cruised onto the first bit of windy, tree strewn trail. I’ll need to take it down a notch; but then I can settle into a good sustainable pace for the day.

The day went by swimmingly. I drained a bottle each lap and stayed on top of the heat. My goal was 6 laps. As I spun through the start/finish area at the end of my 5th, I looked up at the race clock: 3:54. “You’ve got time to do one more,” said the timer with a smile. I returned the grin, grabbed a bottle, and pedaled on. I wrapped up the day with a 1st place in the women’s field, 3rdoverall among the endurance riders, and fully happy and satisfied with my day. Thanks to everyone who makes mountain bike races happen. Thanks to the organizers and volunteers. Thanks to the racers who show up and put themselves on the line. Thanks Team CF for the support. And a big special thanks to Chris Eatough (http://www.chriseatough.com/), who has been providing coaching plans for our team. I have always loved mountain bike racing. But I’ve never felt so consistently great. It’s elevated the joy to new heights. Thanks all from the bottom of my heart. You are really why I love the sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment