Wednesday, May 5, 2010

20 years of Michaux MAXIMUS

And it was 20 years ago that I first raced the Maximus.  I have not attended all 20 races, but there was one hardcore dude who had.  Impressive.  Regardless of how many times I have either raced or ridden the trails of the course it continues to be a challenge.  It is raw, rocky, technical single track that never lets up.  Being a 85.000 acre forest there is always new trail to be explored.  It never gets old.  And thats why I keep going back.  Well ok, it is my home turf and you always do have to defend it, right?!

Sunday's weather fortunately cooperated with us.  I'm not sure I could take another endurance ride in a severe thunderstorm without crawling off my bike into a fetal position.  However, good weather or not I did have obstacles to overcome.  Within the first two fast miles on a downhill single track section a huge stick jumped off the ground and grabbed my rear wheel in its fangs.  I reacted enough to save the derailleur, but a spoke suffered a complete break.  I thought I had it figured out to wrap it on another spoke and out of the way.  But I failed to do that completely and had some friendly trail help to get the spoke wrapped enough to be out of the way.  However, after much dismay with how my gears were reacting, I discovered that the other end of the spoke was stuck in my cassette.  This took some more friendly trail help to get out.  Phew, at least I could finish the race.  "What" said my friend, now its time to chase, and chase we did.  Throughout the chase my gears were angry with the prior stick incident.  It made it tough to negotiate the subtle and not so subtle ups, downs, and twists of the trail that required shifting.  I did my best to not shift much until I remembered about the twisty thing at the gear shifter that can sometimes help you dial in your shifting.  Now all I needed to remember was did twisting towards you tighten or away from you.  After choosing the wrong way at first attempt, I eventually twisted away and tightened things up and although it was not perfect it was definitely better.  Another Phew!

The next 8 single track miles I gunned it and was able to catch my competitors.  I then took a bit of a breather and then after the first aid station I again ramped it up to put some distance on the other women.  After working hard to get in good position I began to feel very tired out on the course.  Oh yeah, I raced 100 miles the weekend previous.  It was a weird feeling.  I kept coming in and out of feeling good then feeling slow.  Fortunately I love the techy single track Michaux has to offer and it helped keep my mind focused.  Riding my superfly 100 is the bomb.  It was so much fun to float over the rocks and find lines that previously didn't exist when I rode a 26'r.

Many thanks to Gettysburg Bike and Fitness for all my bicycle needs and for sponsoring the race.  Kent, Jes and Shawn Rock!  Further thanks go out to all the volunteers, moto riders, and other sponsors for the day.  And yet more thanks to Team CF for making all this possible and to all those who live with or support those with CF. You fuel my inspiration to keep rolling each day and each race! Look out for the belly and notice who is the tallest.

Oh yeah, Thanks Rich.  You better be nice to my husband!

1 comment:

  1. That's so awesome Cheryl. The Queen of Michaux ROCKS!
    : )
    Way to persevere.

    ReplyDelete