Friday, July 2, 2010

June 27th 2010, Big-M XC (Michigan), Open Men, 1st place

This weekend, we were back in action in the National Forest inWellston, MI. It was strange to return to this location only one week after having raced there for the Lumberjack 100. When I pre-registered few days prior to the venue, the weather forecast called for 30% of rain.

Around 5:00am it was a down pour followed by sustained rain. I knowthe course does not get muddy but the idea of using my fingers aswiper blades got me to wish for the rain to stop.

Apparently, I got my wish answered as by 9:30am, the rain stopped. The sandy terrain was packed down and at the exception of some slippery corners the trail was perfect for fast rolling tires. The line was
stacked with the contenders for the Michigan Championship and a hard race was to be expected. Today's program was to complete 5 laps of approximately 6 miles.

At the start, I was in 3rd wheel. The first couple of miles are flat and it was perfect to draft and gradually warm-up the legs. At the start of the first gradual climb, I upped the pace and after few minutes, only Steve Dempsey (Bell's Beer) was able to stay with me. I hammered the climbs one after the other and yet Steve was still on my wheel until the last steep pitch at the end of the lap. The hardest part still ahead of me: stay in the front until the end.

From time to time, we were ridding thru the clouds and with all the moisture in the air, my glasses were never really fog free. Anyway, I
carefully went down the sandy hill and tried to keep constant lap
times.

The clouds seemed to get darker; this was another incentive to maintain the pace high before the next rain shower. Finally, the
finish line! I could maintain my time advantage to the end. Luckily
enough, the elite race has been a dry one. It was not the case for the
sport and beginner classes that had to compete under the rain.

Once more I could place Team CF at the top; I also move closer to
first place for the Michigan championship. Next race is July 3rd;
everybody will fight for the points...

No comments:

Post a Comment