Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The pinky side of the mitten: Lumberjack 100

What a trip.  It is a long, long drive and a huge commitment both in time and money.  Glad to report that it was worth all of it.  Yes, I did win, but that is not the only aspect of the trip that made the top 10:

10.  Jeff to share the drive
9.    Chipotle Grill
8.    Verizon overnighting a new phone to a remote cabin in MI
7.    Entering the twilight zone aka Brighton, MI
6.    Wonderful cabin accommodations
5.    Finding the race venue
4.    John and Bill to help offset the cost of said cabin and adding to the entertainment
3.    Three laps not four
2.    Touring MI and tasting local fare
1.    Two axes sharing the trip home

Jeff and I departed Thursday am to get a start on the long journey to MI.  The plan was to split the drive in two days.  On the way we usually search for the best eateries and on this day we were lucky to find a Chipotle Grill.  If you get the chance learn about its business ethics and get a taste of their wonderful food, you'll be hooked.  As for the Verizon business.  We like to be entertained on our drive by a gps and the internet while driving.  All was going fine until my Droid began turning off and on every minute or two and droning its name as it did so.  It was not looking good for the dear old gadget.  At our lunch stop we found a Verizon store and had it checked out.  It could not be saved.  Buying an extended warranty paid off and they set up an overnight delivery to where we were staying.  Not too shabby.  Luckily we had a back up GPS unit, but Jeff was not quite himself due to being unable to read the latest news or check his messages.  We decided to split the drive and stopped in Brighton MI.  A cool little town, but a bit on the weird side.  We got a great meal and a good nights sleep.  On Friday we finished our trip to Brethren MI.  We were able to find our cabin get unloaded and head out to the race venue.  Without the internet it was all thinking caps on to try and remember our way around.  Once we got pointed in the right direction memory came flooding back like yesterday.  After a quick lap around some of the trails we chatted with some peeps and made sure all had a place to stay.  We had originally booked the cabin with 5 people in the mix.  By the time Friday rolled around we were down to just 2.  Then John and Bill appeared.  They needed a place and we had a place.  What could go either way went the best way.  What great people.  We all should have been friends a long time ago.  Better late than never.

Race morning came all too quickly and the next thing ya know we are racing 100 miles.  I had a great start and hammered along the first lap at a fast pace.  I really wanted to try and get it done in 8 hours.  I paid dearly for my focus on time and not on my nutrition.  I failed to drink enough on the first lap and each consecutive lap became harder and took more time.  The second two laps I began to have the worst cramping in my legs.  I was really concerned that I would not be able to continue.  I had to slow way down put it in the granny gear on all the climbs because I was afraid that the muscles would tear out of my legs.  I also utilized the
midpoint aid station for cold water to put in and on myself and stuffed some bananas in my mouth and jersey hoping it would help.  I knew I had a good lead, but I also knew that I had to keep going forward or else be caught.  I was not too stressed about it, but really wished I could have put in the effort for a better time.

The course was so much fun despite the pain.  I love flowing single track and the the new section of fire roads helped spin out the legs.  It may not be the most technical course, but the constant twisty turns of the trail and the punchy climbs really take it out of you.  The race was well organized and at the finish we were awarded with a photo, a patch and a cold coke.  The organizer of the race was timely with results and awards and kept us  pleasantly occupied with full mugs of Founders Ale and dishes of yummy food.

After the race Jeff, Bill, John and I made our way into the town of Manistee.  Jeff and I were committed to seeing the big Lake.  We had not done it on our last journey to MI and thought that was lame.  It was beautiful, the cool breeze was welcoming and the sight of the Manistee River meeting Lake Michigan was magnificent.  Then it was off to dinner to eat some local fish dishes.  We were quite pleased with taking the time out to be tourists.

Overall the trip was successful and 12 hours in the car is always better when both passengers have an axe and good feelings to bring home.


No comments:

Post a Comment