Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Christian Tanguy, Lumberjack 100, open men, 2nd place


My preparation has been good, and I was approaching the Lumberjack 100 with confidence. This year, the course consists of 3 laps of 33 miles instead of the 4 laps of 25 miles. Due to the new course arrangement, friends and family are only allowed to provide assistance at the start finish area; that is 2 times for the whole race. My plan was to stop twice therefore I took an extra bottle to account for the extra distance between feed zones.


This year again, the tempo on the road was just right to stretch the group of racers without requiring a max out effort to stay at the front. I perfectly placed myself and I reached the single track in second place, just behind Jeff Schalk (Trek).

I was feeling pretty good and eventually went to the lead for few minutes while the lead group was taking shape. Then, we reached a double track section where Mike Simonson (29er crew) and Derek Graham (Bissell/abg) placed several accelerations. Shortly after, Mike pulled on the side to repair a flat tire. Meanwhile Derek stayed in the lead. At each climb, he took the opportunity to place a good effort.  Unfortunately, he suffered a flat tire and pulled on the side.

As we completed the first lap, the lead group was only 4 racers strong. Jeff and I had a smooth stop at the aid station and right after the aid station, we end-up just the 2 of us. I started not to feel so fresh anymore but this is pretty common for me to have short periods where I feel fatigued before I feel better again.



So far, the race scenario was the best possible; I was left alone with Jeff. All I had to do was to stay with him before the fatigue will cause one of us to drop off the back. Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened to me pretty much exactly at the 50 miles marker. I was experiencing one of those fatigue period that just cannot be ridden thru. My stomach was like a balloon, my vision was shaking up and down and every part of my body was telling me to stop in the shade and take a 2 hour nap.


Regrettably, I was no stranger to those conditions as I experienced those 2 years ago at the Mohican 100. I was feeling so awful I wondered if I was going to reach the start finish line or if I was going to collapse before that. Of course, my speed drop quickly and as much as I would like to ride with Jeff; it was no longer sustainable.

I barely completed the 2nd lap and while my stomach was full of fluid, I was very thirsty. Although I refrain to drink more, I realized I already emptied a 26oz bottle on the spot. It probably did not help with my digestive problems but I though that the "5 hour drink bottle" I just drank could help me wake up.



I was still in the race and I was still in second place. I was the first to be surprised because for half a lap, my riding was anything but smooth and fast. The race reality got more palpable when Mike Simonson came down to the aid station just as I was leaving it. It did not take long before I pulled on the side to let him by. My condition
was not deteriorating and I thought that eventually the effects of the 5 hour energy could help me regain some composure.

After 20-30 minutes, I started to feel a little bit better and was able to up the pace a tiny bit. Before I knew it, it was Mike who pulled on the side to let me by. However I was not flying down the trail or placing attacks. I was barely moving; grinding on my small ring. I had a long stop at the aid station with half a lap to go. If I was going to have a breakdown, at least I want to have some food.



With a quarter lap to go I gathered all my motivation and energy to crest over the steepest trail that went straight up the hill without having to push the bike. I still cannot believe I could do it in regard of my sleepiness and digestive issue. Incredibly, I reached the finish line in 2nd place. I am glad I could put Team CF on the podium
and keep my chances alive for top 3 at the N.U.E. overall classification.




No comments:

Post a Comment